Da Day Of Da Runt

Home Page

About Me

Writing

Warhammer 40,000 Fiction


Short Story Index


Star Wars Fiction

Star Trek Fiction

Other Writing

Warhammer 40k Intro

Galleries

Video

Modelling Projects

Links

Chapta 1

Chapta 2

Chapta 3

Chapta 4

1.

 Karat da Squiglad strode from his home when he heard the approach of the vehicle. Karat was a runtherd, he spent his life rearing and training the lesser types of orkoids. This included both the gretchin and snotlings that were smaller versions of the orks themselves as well as the various subspecies of animal squigs.
”Out da way runts!” he bellowed, knocking his gretchin servants aside. He came to a halt as another ork disembarked from the truck and looked at him. This ork wore the traditional dirty apron of a painboy, the medical specialists of ork society. “Well?” Karat said to the newcomer.

“I done it.” The painboy replied and he waved at his own gretchin servant who promptly dashed to the back of the vehicle, “Feed some of dis to ya squigs and dey’ll grower bigger and faster dan dey would without it.”

At the rear of the truck the gretchin was dragging a large barrel from its flat cargo carrying area. Suddenly the gretchin cried out in alarm as he lost his footing. The barrel that had been precariously balanced at the edge of the truck tipped over and came plummeting down, the gretchin rolling aside just in time. There was a sudden crash as the wooden barrel splintered and the bright yellow fluid held within came spilling out.

“Ya wrothless bleedin’ grot!” the painboy bellowed, furiously, “Ya spilt da lot! Its all gone!”

“Oi!” Karat shouted, “I aint payin’ for somethin’ wot ya grot just poured all over da ground.”

“No worries.” The painboy said, “I can brew up another lot for ya.”

Karat scowled.

“I wanted dat stuff for when da next lot of caravans was leavin’.” He said, “I can’t wait for another lot to be brewed up.”

“I can do it.” The painboy said, “I’ll just need to charge ya few extra teeth for da rush.

“No chance!” snorted Karat, “Ya aint getting’ no teeth from me. Sod off!” and he turned on the spot and stormed back inside.

The painboy turned around and glared at the gretchin who had spilt the precious growth serum.

“Look wot ya done!” he shouted, “Dat’s just cost me fifty teeth.”

“Master I is sorry!” the gretchin pleaded as the painboy strode towards him. But before the diminutive creature could beg for forgiveness any further the painboy grabbed hold of a piece of the destroyed barrel and with a vicious roar he brought it down on the gretchin’s head.

The gretchin screamed in pain as his master continued to rain blows down upon him and he tried to crawl away.

“No ya don’t!” the painboy shouted and he brought a heavy booted foot down on the gretchin’s spine, snapping it. Then he aimed the end of the fragment of the barrel straight down and rammed it through the gretchin, impaling him through his chest.

As the gretchin lay dead the painboy merely turned around and got back into his truck before driving away, leaving the body behind.

As a species orkoids blended elements of both animals and fungi and they reproduced by emitting spores that given a suitable place to grow could then develop into any of the myriad forms of orkoid life, from a simple fungus to the mighty squiggoths and squigosauruses that could rip apart the most heavily armoured tanks. As a part of this cycle the death of any orkoid triggered a rapid release of such spores and as such the body of the dead gretchin soon began to break down and thousands of microscopic spores were cast out.

A number of these began to settle in the area immediately around the body, where the yellow coloured growth serum had collected in the shallow dips in the street. Many of these promptly sank into the fluid, and denied a suitable place to germinate their existence came to an end without getting the chance to become an new life form. However, by a remarkable fluke one of the spores instead landed right at the edge of one of the pools and instead of being drowned in the fluid just began to soak it up, the serum saturating its structure. The vehicle to come speeding down the road drove through the puddle without its driver noticing anything more than a slight bump as he drove over what remained of the gretchin and speeding off without giving it a second thought. But the passage of the vehicle catapulted the serum-soaked spore back into the air where a strong breeze carried away from the city of the orks and out into the fertile countryside…

 

“Ah Hazug, come on in.” Warboss Kazkal Kromag, largest and thus most respected ork on the planet said and he waved Hazug Throatslitter of the Blood Axe Clan closer, “’Ow’s da work goin’?”

“Da bridges is almost done boss.” Hazug replied, “Den we’ll be able to send our big wagons over to da other side of da river and clear it out.”

Warboss Kormag grinned at the news. A recent attempt by human forces based in the ruins on the far side of the river to overthrow him had been narrowly avoided. There was a tunnel running beneath the river from the area of the city occupied by the more loyal human population, but it was too small for the largest of ork vehicles and the warboss was in a hurry to have the ruins cleared out.

“Good, good. Now we was just talkin’ about wot to do with dat gateway thingy.” Kazkal said.

Part of the human plan had involved an ancient eldar structure that had lay buried since before the orks had conquered this world. The structure allowed direct access to the planet from some other place so far unknown to the orks through some means that the best mechaniaks could not fathom out and there was considerable disagreement on what to do with it.

“Ya knows my opinion boss.” Hazug said, “Blow it up before we is up our necks in eldar.”

“Bah!” another nob exclaimed.

“Got a problem with dat Skargak?” Kazkal asked.

Skargak was a member of the Goffs clan; they regarded themselves as the toughest and meanest of all orks and dressed in black to prove it. Only slightly shorter than the warboss he was his most likely successor.

“Build a fort dare boss.” Skargak said, “Dat way if any pansies reckon dey can come ‘ere lookin’ for trouble we’ll ‘ave a bunch of lads waitin’ for ‘em.”

“Dat’ll take too long.” Another nob replied, “Just bury it. Dare’s no way through if it under a squig-load of rock.”

Skargak snarled.

“See.” Kazkal said to Hazug, “I gots too many choices.”

“Perhaps ya could just cut up da gate and do somethin’ different with each piece boss.” Hazug commented, despite the risk of the warboss realising that Hazug as having a joke at his expense.

“Another good idea. Dat’s got some wisdom behind it, dat does.” Kazkal replied, nodding, “Make a note of dat one too.” He then said, looking in the direction of one of his human servants. As a Bad Moon, the richest of all clans because of the rate at which they grew their teeth, Kazkal Kromag flaunted his wealth by staffing his palace with humans rather than the much cheaper gretchin. These he still used, but only for the more menial tasks, such as clearing way the bodies that inevitably seemed to pile up if left unattended to.

“So is dat why ya asked me ‘ere boss?” Hazug asked.

“Nah.” Kromag replied, “One of da tradin’ caravans got in yesterday and dey was sayin’ dat one of da git farms dey normally deals with was flattened when dey passed it. Now I thinks dat it could be some lads wot is ignorin’ me new orders about not killin’ gits unless dey starts it.”

Despite the recent action taken against the warboss by some of the local human population, Hazug had been able to negotiate a deal whereby those loyal to the orks would be supported by the warboss in exchange for a regular supply of human-made ammunition for his own use. As part of this deal Kazkal Kromag had issued an edict forbidding the killing of unclaimed humans without good reason on the grounds that technically they all belonged to him now. This had not gone down well in all parts of the ork population and already there had been a few battles between those rebelling against the order and the nobs Kazkal sent out to enforce it.

“So ya wants me to go out and ‘ave a look, right boss?” Hazug asked.
”Exactly.” Kazkal replied, “If someone’s killin’ me gits den is gonna fine ‘em a mouthful of teeth each. And to make it easier to collect I’ll just take dare ‘eads off. Make sure ya tell ‘em dat Hazug.”

Hazug smiled.

“Don’t worry boss.” He said, “I’ll tell ‘em.”

 

The truck bounced across the open country as Hazug drove it as fast as he could. In the passenger seta beside him sat Sophie, his loyal human servant. A crude tattoo on her arm of a pair of crossed axes marked her out as the property of the Blood Axe clan, meaning Hazug given that he was the last of his clan on the planet. She clutched a large, crudely drawn map that had been supplied to Hazug by the trading caravan that had reported the destruction of the human farm. The ork traders had asked for a modest fee of three teeth for the map, but Hazug had haggled them down to one tooth and he would agree to stop hitting them.

“I don’t understand.” Sophie said as she looked at the map, “The farm should be around here somewhere.”

“Stupid git just can’t read a map master.” This came from the rear of the truck where Hazug’s other servant Ratish Brownskin was sat, peering over the shoulders of Hazug and Sophie. Ratish was a gretchin and thus his attitude towards Hazug was one of sycophantic servitude.

“Look! There it is!” Sophie sudden cried out and she pointed towards the horizon where the top of a building could just about be seen.

“Lucky guess.” Ratish muttered.

“’Ang on.” Hazug said as the truck swerved suddenly and he drove straight at the building.

Sure enough the building was just one of a small that made up a typical human farm. Ork trading caravans frequently stopped at these places and though the humans would never get a fair trade from the orks, they at least had the knowledge that the orks were on hand to protect them from any of the raiding parties that roamed the countryside. Most of the raiders avoided attacking the farms even before the warboss’s edict however, they didn’t want to risk bringing down the wrath of the larger trading caravans on them by wiping out the source of their goods.

The only real threat to the farms nowadays came from feral orks who were newly hatched from the fungus patches and had yet to be properly civilised. Fortunately these orks seldom travelled in groups of more than about a dozen or had any weapons more advanced than bows and spears, so the thick stone walls of a farm house should have provided these farmers with adequate protection from a feral mob until civilised orks could arrive to beat some sense into them. But whatever had attacked this farm had used more than just bows and spears.

The building tip that Sophie had first seen was the highest point remaining. In fact it was the top of the only wall left standing, the rest having collapsed into piles of rubble. Hazug brought his truck to a halt and turned off the engine. Then he jumped down to the ground and drew his pistol.

It had rained heavily recently and the ground was still sodden with water, so there was a squelch with each step that Hazug took as he walked towards the ruins.
”Oi!” he called out, coming to a halt, “Is dare anyone ‘ere?”

There was more squelching and he glanced around to see both Ratish and Sophie picking their way towards him across the muddy ground.

“What did this?” Sophie asked as she surveyed the damage.

“Kannons master?” Ratish suggested.

For a moment Hazug considered this a possibility. But then he realised that though the buildings had been destroyed there was no evidence of any sort of explosive weapon being detonated here, scorch marks or shrapnel for example. It was as if the building had just been knocked over.

“Well dey is all dead alright.” Hazug said, “But I don’t knows why.”
”So what are we going to do?” Sophie asked.

“We is goin’ ‘ome for tonight.” Hazug said, “Den we’ll come back tomorrow with some lads wot can tell us wot ‘appened.”

 

Hazug had worked with Mek Batrug several times before and he trusted the mekboy as much as it was possible to trust someone who had an obsession with tinkering with absolutely every machine he could get his hands on to ‘improve’ it. The other ork however, was previously unknown to Hazug. He was simply the first runtherd he had run into when he went looking for one and with the promise of a tooth in payment or punishment by the warboss if he turned down the job he had agreed to come and take a look at the ruined farm.

“Well ya was right about dis not bein’ da work of kannons.” Batrug announced, “And it wasn’t no wagon bein’ crashed into it either. If it was, den dare’d be some bits of da wagon wot fell lyin’ about.”

Hazug looked towards the runtherd.

“Oi Gorthug!” he shouted, “Batrug says it wasn’t no kannon or wagon. So can ya tell me wot is was?”

Gorthug was crouched down, studying the rubble and when Hazug called to him he stood up and approached him.

“It could ‘ave been a squiggoth all right.” He said, “Dey is strong enough. But I aint never ‘eard of one doin’ ought like dis before.”

“Why’s dat?” Hazug asked.

“Well even though they is big and tough,” Gorthug explained, “dey still gets ‘urt when dey bangs into stuff like dis. If it was mad enough it’d ‘ave a go all right. Or if it ‘ad been domesticated and the rider gave a good enough smack. But it aint normal for ‘em to just do somethin’ like dis.”

“Hazug!” Sophie’s voice suddenly called out.

“Where is she?” Hazug said, looking around. Concerned that there was something on the loose that had destroyed a farm, he had warned his servants to stay in sight.

“Da git’s wandered off master!” Ratish exclaimed, “Ratish knew it would. Just leave it behind.”
”Hazug come quick!” Sophie called out again and this time Hazug determined where the cry was coming from.

“Dis way!” he snapped and he rushed towards the sound of Sophie’s voice, Batrug and Gorthug following close behind.

They ran around the ruined farm buildings to find Sophie staring down at the ground.
”Look!” she exclaimed when the orks appeared and she pointed, “What made that?”

At her feet was a footprint. The rain has washed away most of the tracks, but this one had survived long enough for them to find it.

“Hmmm.” Gorthug said as he studied the footprint, “Well dat aint no squig print.” He went on, “It’s got too many toes.” Then he held up his hands in front of him and lined them up in his view with the ends of the footprint, “And da proportions is all wrong for an ork, it’s too narrow. So I’d say dat dis was made by a runt. A grot or a snot, I can’t be sure.”

“But it can’t be.” Sophie said as she looked at the footprint, “I mean look at it.”

“Oi, git!” Gorthug snapped, “Remember ya place and he raised his hand to strike Sophie but Hazug reached out and took hold of his wrist before he could.

“Ya gotta admit dat dis aint exactly ya normal runt footprint now is it?” Hazug said to Gorthug.

“No. But everythin’ fits. Dat footprint was made by a runt.”

“Wot’s wrong with it?” Batrug asked, scratching his head.

“Well look at dis.” Hazug said and he grabbed hold of Ratish and lifted him up, waving the gretchin’s foot in Batrug’s face. The mekboy recoiling at the smell, “See dat?” Hazug asked.
”See wot?” he asked.

“Well dis is ‘ow big me grot’s foot is,” Hazug said about Ratish’s foot, “whereas dat print is a big as me trukk.”

 

2.

 

From his throne, Warboss Kazkal Kromag looked down at Hazug and frowned.

“’Ow does a runt destroy a buildin’?” he asked.

“Well dis runt’s bigger dan it supposed to be boss.” Hazug replied, sensing that he was not being believed.

“’Ow much bigger?” the warboss asked and Hazug turned to Gorthug.
”Well?” he asked the runtherd.

Gorthug considered this, taking into account the relative length of a normal gretchin or snotling foot compared to its height.

“Well without seein’ it I can’t be exact ya know,” Gorthug said slowly, “but at a guess I’d say dat its about as tall as a stompa.”

A stompa was an ork war machine, an armoured walker about twenty to twenty-five metres in height. Not that orks though in terms of metres or any other standard units of measurement. They generally went with three basic lengths, too short, just right and too long.

Kazkal laughed. A loud booming laugh that made it clear he did not believe a word of what he was being told.

“Hazug me lad!” he called out as the other orks gathered around throne also laughed in support of the larger ork, “I likes a joke, but dis is ridiculous. Now sod off and don’t come back until ya ‘as found out wot’s really goin’ on. Take da runtherd with ya an’ all.”

 

“How did it go?” Sophie asked when Hazug returned home.

“Da boss didn’t believe me.” He replied.
”But why not?” Sophie asked as she followed Hazug up the stairs and into his bedroom, “Didn’t you tell him about the footprint? What if you got Batrug to speak to him as well? He saw it too.”

“Nah, da boss aint gonna believe dat dare’s a runt da size of stompa runnin’ about unless someone kills it and dumps it on ‘is doorstep.” Hazug replied, unlocking the heavy metal door set into one of the walls of his room.
”So what are you going to do now then?” Sophie asked.

Hazug pulled the door open to reveal a windowless room filled with weapons.
”I is gonna kill it.” He said, “And dump it on da boss’ doorstep.”

 

This time the truck was pilled high with weaponry. Hazug had mounted a large belt fed gun on the top of the roll cage. His custom rifle along with its under slung rocket launcher was placed just behind the driver’s seat along with a plentiful supply of spare ammunition and there were several crates stacked up and lashed down. These crates were not of ork manufacture, they were far too regular. These were mass produced examples of human industry and each one was marked with lettering in the human language of gothic. LAUNCHER, MISSILE, HYROS PATTERN.

The only place that Hazug knew for certain that the giant runt had been was at the destroyed farm, so that was where he headed for. Once there he disembarked from the truck and looked for anything out of the ordinary. Such as a runt the size of a stompa.

The rain had destroyed all but the one footprint left by the creature, but by ork standards Hazug was an expert tracker and he knew that a trail could consist of more than just prints in the ground. A trail of devastation left by something big forcing its way through thick undergrowth for example and when Hazug spotted that the trees and bushes of nearby woodland looked to have been pushed aside by something big forcing its way in between them he smiled.

“Dat way.” He said.

The light was fading as he drove into the woods. Unusually for Hazug he kept the truck’s speed low, unwilling to risk a collision in the growing darkness.

“Where are we?” Sophie asked as she looked out of the truck. Here and there she caught sight of something moving in the shadows, but whatever wildlife was about it had no interest in approaching the truck.

“Stupid git.” Ratish said from the gun mount, “We is in da woods.”

“Yes, but where in the woods?” Sophie said, looking around at Ratish, “And which woods? There are lots of them.
”Sophie’s right.” Hazug said, slamming his foot down on the brakes, “We needs to check da map.” And he reached for the rolled up map that the traders had provided, “Is dare ought to drink?” he said to Sophie as he unfurled the map and laid it out in front of him.

Without speaking Sophie reached behind her seta and produced a large clay flask, took the cork out and began to pour some of the water it contained into a pair of cups. The larger cup she set down on the dashboard and the smaller one she kept hold of and sipped from.

“Ratish wants a drink an’ all!” Ratish exclaimed and he came climbing down form the gun mount while Hazug and Sophie looked at the map by the light of a lantern.

As Ratish poured himself a drink he felt a slight shudder and glanced towards the front of the truck he saw that the water in Hazug’s cup was shaking. Then he looked behind the truck and his jaw dropped.

“Master.” He said softly.

“Not now.” Hazug replied, then to Sophie he added, “Well I reckon we came in ‘ere.” And he tapped at the map.

“But how deep in are we?” Sophie asked and Hazug just frowned.

“Master.” Ratish repeated as the ground shook once more.

“I said not now. We is busy.” Hazug replied. Then both he and Sophie also felt the ground as it shook and they spotted the cup of water on the dashboard. Slowly they both turned around and Sophie screamed.

“Aw crap.” Hazug said, his shoulders slumping when he saw the enormous creature that towered over the treetops looking back down at them. Then he suddenly added, “’Ang on! We is elavin’!” and he put his foot down on the gas pedal.

“Ratish get back on dat big shoota!” Hazug yelled as the truck pulled away and there was a roar as the creature they had been hunting for now came chasing after them.

With no need to be prompted further, Ratish clambered back up the roll cage and to the gun mount. He swung the weapon around and lined it up on their pursuer.

“Ratish is ready master.” He said excitedly.

“Den wotcha waitin’ for?” Hazug shouted, “Let rip!”

Ratish pulled the trigger of the belt fed weapon and held it back, sending a constant stream of heavy calibre bullets into the creature. Though his target was massive, the way in which the truck was now bouncing about as Hazug threw caution to the wind in his effort to escape negated any advantage of size and barely half of the rounds that Ratish fired actually hit the creature. The creature roared in pain as one bullet after another tore into its flesh, but the butts failed to even slow it down let alone inflict any serious injury and the chase continued with Hazug looking for some way out of the trees that the creature seemed able to just brush aside as it pursued them.

Suddenly the tree gave way to open countryside and Hazug pressed down on the gas pedal, no longer concerned about driving into a tree he put the speed of his truck to good use and drove off as fast as it would go. Behind the truck the creature also emerged from the woods and roared with rage as it saw the truck slowly disappearing. But then something else caught its attention. Off in the distance and standing out clearly in the darkness were the lights of the ork city.

The creature smiled and set off towards them.

 

Gorthug growled as he climbed out of bed at the sound of banging on his door.
”Its da middle of da bleedin’ night!” he shouted as he shuffled towards the door, “Dis better be bleedin’ good.” And he picked up the long hooked stick he normally used for keeping gretchin, snotlings and squigs under control, ready to use it on whoever was daring to disturb him at this hour. Opening the door he discovered Hazug and his servants standing outside.

“It aint da middle of da night! Hazug shouted, “Look.” And he pointed to where the sun was just making an appearance over the horizon.
”Well its still bleedin’ early.” Gorthug said, “But ya’s ‘ere now so ya may as well come in.”

“I think its best if ya comes out ‘ere.” Hazug replied and he beckoned Gorthug to step outside.

The runtherd grunted and came out of his home. Hazug just pointed in the direction of the woods where they had encountered the giant creature. Gorthug looked and frowned.

“Wot’s dat?” he asked as he saw a dark shape.

“Take a closer look.” Hazug said and he produced an alien device designed to provide superior viewing of objects far away or in poor light. Gorthug looked at the device for a moment then lifted it to his eye and looked through it. Straight away Gorthug lowered the device again, his jaw dropping.

“By Gork’n’Mork.” He said, “Dat thing’s as big as I said it was.”

“Yeah but what is it?” Hazug asked and Gorthug looked through the device again.

“It’s a snotling.” He said, “Yep, definitely a snotling.”

“How can you tell?” Sophie asked.

“Da eyes.” Gorthug replied, “It’s got dat vacant stupid look like it couldn’t find its arse even if it sat down. When did ya first see it?”

“Late last night.” Hazug said, “We was lookin’ at a map and it snuck up on us.”
”Did ya ‘ave a light?” Gorthug asked.

“Yeah, a lantern.”

“Dat’s probably wot attracted it den. Snotlings like bright shiny stuff. Den if it followed ya it would’ve seen da city lights and come dis way.”

“So wot does we do about it?” Hazug asked him.

Gorthug turned around and returned the viewing device to him.

“Well at least da boss’ll believe ya now.” He said, “Good luck with dat by da way.” And he went back inside and shut the door. As Hazug and his servants stood there, there was the sound of a heavy bar being pulled across it on the inside.

 

There were fewer orks in the throne room at this hour than the last time Hazug had stood before the warboss to explain about the creature. At least now he could confirm that it was some sort of oversized snotling, even if he had no idea what had caused it to grow to such a size. However, Kazkal Kromag still appeared unconvinced.

Or least he wasn’t until one of his palace guards came rushing into the throne room.

“Boss come quick!” he shouted, “It’s tearin’ up da city!”
”Wot is?” Kazkal asked.

“Well, it kinda looks like a runt. Only its ‘uge. As big as a stompa!” the guard replied and Kazkal stared at Hazug, who was now smiling.

All of the orks present in the throne room followed Kazkal up to the roof and looked out over the city. Sure enough, in the eastern part of the city a giant snotling could be seen making it’s way through the streets and already there was the sound of gunfire as the handful of orks already up and about at this time saw something out of the ordinary and shot it.

“It’s ‘uge.” One of Kazkal’s court said in amazement, “Even bigger dan ya is boss.”

A puzzled look appeared on another one of the nobs.

“If it’s bigger, den does dat make it da boss?” he said. Unfortunately for this ork he was standing not only right beside Kazkal Kromag, but also at the edge of the roof and Kazkal responded to his comment by giving him a shove.

“Right den,” Kazkal said as the nob plummeted to his death, “any more daft comments?”

There were none.

“Good. Now get da lads to go kill it.”

“Wot lads boss?” a nob asked.

“All of ‘em if dat’s wot it takes.” Kazkal replied.

 

3.

 

Ratish and Sophie were sat at opposite ends of the truck when Hazug came rushing back, doing their best to ignore one another.

“Master!” Ratish exclaimed as he saw Hazug moments before Sophie, “Wot’s ‘appenin’?”

“Da boss wants dat giant runt killed.” Hazug replied as he climbed back into the vehicle, “So we is off to ‘elp. Ratish, get back on da big shoota.”

Ratish smiled.

“Yes master.” he said as he climbed back up to the gun mount.

 

Drazzok Headbanga was one of, if not the oldest ork on the planet. As a weirdboy he lived apart from most other orks due to the way in which the orkoid species manifested psychic abilities. Unlike other species, where a psyker would draw power directly from the warp and channel it to affect the material universe, all orkoids instead produced a form of gestalt psychic field that would be channelled through nearby weirdboys. Potentially this gave weirdboys vast reserves of power but it also ran the risk of an uncontrolled discharge that would cause the heads of not only the weirdboy but also other nearby greenskins to quite literally explode and kill them all. For this reason every weirdboy carried a copper staff that would help dissipate their accumulated power by channelling it into the ground and lived in a hut known as a weird hut. This simple dwelling was a small structure mounted on top of a tall copper pole. Within his home Drazzok could feel safe that his head would remain intact and in its proper place thanks to the psychic field only becoming strong enough to affect him on rare occasions.

Unfortunately there were other things that could disturb him.

He woke when he felt his bed shaking and he rolled out onto the floor. He had fallen out of bed not so long ago as well, but on that occasion it had been the ceiling that broke his fall because of it being triggered by one of the rare build-ups of psychic energy when a group of madboys had gathered around the base of his hut’s pole. Madboys were not psykers themselves, but they were more sensitive to ork psychic field than others and had become unhinged as a result, often display wildly varying personality disorders. They tended to revere the weirdboys themselves and often formed retinues for them. Some of the madboys were still camped out below his hut, Drazzok knew and he would not put it past them to take it upon themselves to interfere with it.

“Wot da bleedin’ ‘ell are dem loonies doin’ now?” Drazzok said to himself as he grabbed hold of his staff and made his way to the door of his hut. But as he walked out onto the compact balcony outside he found himself staring at the giant snotling as it approached.
”Wot da bleedin’ ‘ell is dat?” he exclaimed.

“Look out oh great one!” a voice called out from below and Drazzok glanced down to see the largest of the handful of remaining madboys waving to him. This was Thuggrim, one of the few madboys to survive long enough to become a full fledge nob. Like any other group of orks, as the largest madboy he was in charge of them, though he deferred to Drazzok in all things.

There was a crash as the snotling reached the far edge of the cluster of weirdhuts, knocking the first one he encountered to the ground.

The madboys below took aim and fired, most of them even managing to remember to load their weapons first while the few other settled for just making the sound. But their lightweight pistols and rifles did nothing more than annoy the snotling and it let out a roar and turned directly towards them.

“Now look wotcha done!” Drazzok bellowed at the madboys, “It’s comin’ right for us!”

Sure enough, the enraged snotling barged through the cluster of weirdhuts towards Drazzok’s. Sensing what was about to happen Drazzok weighed up his options. He could try and make it down the ladder, but it was a long way and he did not want to get caught half way down when the snotling reached his hut. He could jump of course, but he did not trust the madboys to catch him. Even if they said they would, they would be too likely to forget when he was only half way down. That left just one choice and so Drazzok went back into his hut and hoped everything would work out just fine.

It did not.

The hut shook violently as it was struck by the snotling and Drazzok was flung across the interior, stopping only when he collided with the copper pole that ran through the centre of the hut. Then he heard a creaking and the room began to tilt.

“Aw crap.” He said as he realised what was coming.

On the ground below Thuggrim had emptied his rifle’s magazine and was just trying to figure out why the fresh one he had picked up would not fit without realising he was trying to load it backwards. It was then that the snotling pushed against Drazzok’s hut and the ground at the base of the pole began to give way.

“Garb dat someone!” he yelled, pointing at the base of the pole and two of the other madboys dropped their weapons and rushed towards the pole, vainly trying to keep it upright. The hut came down anyway, crushing one of the madboys beneath the pole. From inside the hut itself was a cry of alarm as Drazzok held onto the pole for dear life, “Great one!” Thuggrim yelled when the hut final hit the ground, “Is ya all right?” and he rushed towards the hut to help.

The snotling meanwhile began to come under fire from another group of orks who had been woken by the noise and come out of their homes to suggest that those responsible could be quiet or be shot and it began to move towards them instead.

There was a groaning sound as Drazzok came crawling out of the hut.

“Me ‘ut!” he cried out, “It’s bad enough dat Batrug put a dent in me pole, but now da ‘ole thing’s been knocked down by a, by a – Wot da bleedin’ ‘ell was dat anyway?”

“Looked like a runt oh great one.”

“Don’t be so daft. Runts aint dat big.”

“Not normally, but everythin’ looks bigger close up don’t it?”

Drazzok let this pass and clambered back into the wreckage of his home only to return a moment later clutching his staff.

“Right den,” he said, “let’s go find Hazug.”

“Why oh great one?” Thuggrim asked.

“Because I wants to know wot’s goin’ on and every time somethin’ odd ‘appen’s ‘e ends up in da middle of it.”

 

Pordor Meatchoppa had inherited his business when he stabbed the previous owner through the neck and then served him up as the chef’s special. He watched from the kitchen door and grinned as he realised that he had a full house this morning and was going to make plenty of teeth. In fact he was going to make even more than he normally would from such a crowd because he had hit upon the idea of adding a few small rocks to some of his breakfast recipes. This would cause orks to lose any tooth that bit down on them and there was a fair chance that they would immediately decide to spend it on an extra beer to dull the pain.

Pordor considered himself a shrewd business-ork.

The door suddenly flew open and a dishevelled ork burst in, clutching his rifle by its barrel.

“Run for ya lives!” he bellowed, “Da runt is comin’ dis way!” and then he ran back out into the street, screaming. The ork diners all paused in eating their meals and looked at one another as they attempted to decipher the meaning of what had just been said. A handful got to their feet.

“Nobody moves.” Pordor announced, “I aint lettin’ no bleedin’ runt drive off me custom.” And he went back into the kitchen, reappearing a moment later with a large meat cleaver in his hand, “New special,” he called out, “runt stew.” And he strode confidently into the street, “Right den!” he shouted to no-one in particular as assorted greenskins dashed past him, all heading in the same direction, “Where’s dis runt wot I’s ‘eard about.”

Pordor suddenly heard the sound of loud breathing from above him and he looked upwards to see the giant snotling towering over him.

“Oh crap.” He said just before an enormous foot came down on top of him.

 

There was little traffic and few pedestrians in the streets at this hour, despite the rampaging snotling bring more orks out of bed earlier than usual so Hazug was able to make good time as he drove through them. The snotling was easy to follow, it towered over most of the city’s structures and it was leaving a trail of destruction that a hundred orks would find difficult to match without access to heavy weaponry.

“Hazug stop!” Sophie suddenly cried out from the passenger seat.

“Wot?” Hazug said as he slammed on the brakes and brought the truck to a halt.

“Look.” Sophie replied, “It’s Drazzok.” And she pointed to where the weirdboy was running towards them with Thuggrim and two other madboys around him.

“In da name of da great Drazzok I ‘ereby requisition dis trukk!” Thuggrim announced as they reached Hazug’s vehicle.
”Oh shut up ya looney and just get in.” Drazzok snapped as he began to climb into the front where Sophie was sat, “Oi git. Shift or get sat on.” He added and Sophie climbed into the back of the truck where the madboys were now also sat, “Okay den,” Drazzok said when he was comfortable, “off we go.” And Hazug drove of in the direction of the gunfire.

 

Narkor paced up and down in front of the mass of heavily armed orks filling the street. Rifles, machine guns and rocket launchers were all loaded and ready. All they needed was a target.

“Right lads, we’ll ‘old da line ‘ere. We’ll show dis runt dat ya don’t mess with da orks.” He said, “No matter ‘ow big it is.” and the assembled orks cheered.

The gunfire and screaming was growing louder now and it was obvious that the runt was approaching.

“’Ere it comes lads! Stand ya ground and fire when I tells ya.”

There was a sudden crash as a buggy hurled through the air struck one of the buildings beside the ork crowd and fell to the ground, crushing several orks.

Narkor looked at the wrecked buggy and the body parts sticking out from beneath it. Then he heard something else, a low rumbling growl and he looked back around to see the massive form of the oversized snotling staring down at the assembled ork force.

The snotling let out a roar.

“New plan lads.” Narkor announced, “Run for it!”

 

4.

 

When the snotling appeared looming in front of the truck Thuggrim, who climbed up to replace Ratish on the gun opened fire, sending the entire belt full of bullets into the snotling’s back.

“Oi!” Thuggrim then yelled at the snotling, waving his fist at it, “I shot ya! Ya’s dead!”

“I don’t think he agrees.” Sophie said as the snotling turned around and looked directly at them, only to be distracted by a burst of gunfire from another group of orks that came charging from a side street.

“Everybody out!” Hazug barked, “Da big shoota’s no good, but I gots better dan dat.”

“Like wot?” Drazzok asked.

“Dem.” Hazug replied and he pointed at the human-built missile launchers.

Hazug opened up several of the crates.

“One each.” He said, then he looked at Sophie and added, “Tell ‘ow dey works.”

Sophie smiled and nodded as she took one of the hollow tubes from its crate.

“The instructions are here.” She said, pointing to a set of images labelled in gothic printed on the side of the weapon that showed a human soldier preparing and firing it.

“Yeah, but ‘ow does an ork do it?” one of the madboys asked and Sophie sighed.

“Like this.” She said and she began to go through the loading process.

They formed a single line, everyone from the truck holding one of the rocket launchers over their shoulders. Even Drazzok who as both a weirdboy and a member of the ultra conservative Snake Bite clan normally avoided any form of technology, especially anything not made by orks.

“Wot we aimin’ for master?” Ratish asked.

“Da runt.” Drazzok said and one of the madboys turned towards Ratish.

“Not dat runt.” Hazug said, reaching out and pushing the madboy’s missile launcher to face the correct direction. Then he added, “Just go for da chest. Dat’s normally a good thing to aim for.” Then he paused as the group all lined up their weapons on the snotling. “Ready… Steady… Let rip!”

In unison the missiles were launched and sped towards the snotling. Moments later the salvo hit home and there were explosions accompanied by the screaming of the snotling as the explosive warheads tore away chunks of its flesh. But as the smoke and flames cleared, the snotling was still standing.

“I’ve told ya about dat before! If ya aint gonna die, we aint gonna play!” Thuggrim yelled, waving his finger at the snotling.

The snotling roared in anger and stepped towards the group. From amongst them all one in particular stood out to the snotling’s simple mind and it reached out towards them.

“Hazug help me!” Sophie screamed as she was lifted from the ground.

“No master, let da snotling ‘ave ‘er!” Ratish yelled, “Maybe it go away.”

There was the sound of engines accompanied by a screeching as a group of flamethrower-equipped half-tracks came racing around the corner and opened up on the snotling.

The snotling lifted up its arms, still clutching the screaming Sophie and let out a cry of its own. Then it began to back away from the flames, carrying off Sophie.

 

From his position on the palace roof Warboss Kazkal Kromag smiled as he saw the snotling being forced back, even if it appeared to be uninjured despite everything thrown at it.

“Boss!” a voice called out from behind him and Kazkal looked around to see a mekboy running towards him, “I just got word from da airbase!” the mekboy said, “Dey say Nagrippa’s dethcopta lads is ready to go.”

Kazkal grinned.

“Send ‘em in.” he said.

 

 “Why didn’t da rokkits stop it master?” Ratish asked as the group was rushing to get back into the truck.

“I dunno.” Hazug replied.

“Aint it obvious?” Drazzok asked.

“No it aint.” Hazug said.

“Well somethin’s made dat runt grow bigger dan it’s supposed right? And bigger is better yeah? Everyone knows dat. So think about wot else ‘as got better.”

“It’s ‘ealin’.” Hazug said, “Unless we can do somethin’ dat can kill it outright den it’ll just keep on ‘ealin’ any damage we do’.”

“Exactly.” Drazzok said.
”But ‘ow does we kill it in one go master?” Ratish asked.

“I just needs to find a weak spot dat’s all.” Hazug said, “An eye, or an ear. If I shoots a rocket down one of dem I’ll get right to da brain. Even a snotling needs its brain every so often.”

“Ya’ll ‘ave to get close.” Drazzok said, “Real close.”

 

“Let go of me!” Sophie yelled as she struggle in vain to break the snotling’s grip on her. The ork flamethrowers were continuing to drive the snotling back and enraging it even further.

The snotling looked around, searching for somewhere that seemed to offer some respite from the unrelenting ork assault. Then it saw something that looked promising. Or to be more exact, two of them.

Gargants were the largest of ork surface fighting machines and the pair that Kazkal Kromag had commissioned were some of the larger ones of their kind, only the enormous mega-gargants were larger. Still incomplete they were surrounded by crude scaffolding that allowed the ork mekboys to carry out work on the upper levels of these giant walking machines that were part war engine and part effigy of the ork gods. All this meant nothing to the snotling though, all it was interested in was getting up high out of the reach of the ork flamethrowers.

The scaffolding around the nearest gave way as soon as the snotling tried to grab hold of it, it had after all been designed fro ork workers less than a tenth as tall as the overgrown snotling. Instead the snotling took hold of the armoured hull of the gargant itself and one-handed began to pull itself up the side of the war machine. When it reached the shoulder the snotling stood up tall and roared, lifting its arms above its head and Sophie screamed again.

Then there was a distant sound that slowly grew in volume an d the snotling began to look around, searching for its source.

Sophie heard it too; it was a simple rhythmic sound that was definitely getting closer.

Whumph, whumph, whumph.

 

From the seat of his deathcopter, a bizarre ork built hybrid of motorbike and attack helicopter Nagrippa of the Evil Suns looked down at the snotling below him.

“Squadron forty!” he yelled at his pilots, waving at them also “Dive!”

 

There was the chattering of gunfire as the first of the deathcopters swooped down on the snotling, firing. The snotling reacted in the same way it had to every other attack, it roared in anger and looked to see what was attacking it now. It saw the swarm of ork vehicles swooping down out of the sky, their machine gun and rocket armament firing non-stop. The snotling paused for a moment to set Sophie down on top of the head of the incomplete gargant and then it turned to face its enemies.

 

Hazug braked sharply, bringing his truck to a halt at the base of the base of the gargant and reached for his rifle and its under-slung rocket launcher.

“Wait ‘ere.” He said as he climbed down form the truck.
”Where’s master goin’?” Ratish asked, peering over the side of the truck at Hazug and Hazug looked up at the snotling.

“Up.” He said.

 

Nagrippa flinched as the snotling’s fist passed less than an ork’s length from his deathcopter and he turned to try and get out of reach before the creature could try again. Behind him the next deathcopter pilot was not so lucky and the snotling swatted his aircraft from the sky, sending it plummeting to the ground below.

He looked at the snotling again. So far his pilots had hit it with dozens of high explosive rockets and hundreds of bullets that could cut an ork in half at extreme ranges, but all they seemed to have done was make it even angrier. He could see something moving about on the head of the gargant, something that looked like a cowering human but as far as he was concerned it was nothing that mattered to him. All that mattered was carrying out his orders to kill the snotling and so he brought his deathcopter around for another pass.

 

Hazug was out of breath as he clambered out of a hole in the side of the gargant to find himself standing on its shoulder, with the snotling towering overhead.

“Hazug!” Sophie called out from the head, looking down at him and waving, “Up here!”

“Stay dare! He shouted back and he unslung his rifle.

Another pair of deathcopters flew past and the snotling spun as it knocked another out of the sky. As it did so, it caught Hazug with its heel and knocked him backwards to land on his back. It was then that Hazug saw something that gave him and idea.

His plan had been to try and get up high enough to fire his rocket into the snotling’s eye, are or even down its throat. But there, beneath the loincloth that the snotling had thankfully fashioned for itself before reaching the city was another orifice. It may not be close to the snotling’s brain, but Hazug was certain that firing a rocket there would do a lot of damage. He brought his rifle to his shoulder, aiming straight up and then fired the rocket.

A look of sudden surprise and confusion appeared on the snotling’s face as the rocket found its target. Almost immediately this change to a scream of pain as the tail fire of the rocket ignited the highly combustible gases that had built up inside the snotling’s digestive system. Then the rocket detonated and blew open the snotling, spilling burning flesh and bodily waste all over the upper portion of the gargant. Hazug rolled over to avoid getting a face full of this, while Sophie screamed as she tried to find cover.

Still the strike was not instantly lethal to the snotling and it continued to scream in pain. But the damage was enough to prevent it staying on its feet, and the snotling fell sideways and tumbled over the side of the gargant’s shoulder plating.

Hazug scrabbled to the edge of the shoulder and looked down to see the screaming snotling as it bounced down the side of the gargant until landing in a lifeless heap, the ‘crunch’ of breaking bone audible even from this high up.

 

“Ya does realise,” Drazzok said as Hazug climbed back into the truck, “dat ya just defeated a snotling da size of a stompa by shootin’ a rokkit up its bum dontcha?”

Hazug shrugged.
”Dese things ‘appen.” He said.

“Not to anyone else dey don’t.” Drazzok told him.

Behind them Sophie, who like Hazug was covered in the contents of the snotling’s gut sat down.
”Does anybody mind if we just go home and never talk about this again?” she asked.

Copyright Notice. 

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is the intellectual property of Games Workshop Ltd. The fiction presented here is a derived work. It is completely unofficial and Games Workshop Ltd has not endorsed any of it.

Background image miniature design copyright Games Workshop Ltd

This Web Page Created with PageBreeze Free HTML Editor