Da Clockwork Grot

 

Home Page

About Me

Writing

Warhammer 40,000 Fiction


Short Story Index


Star Wars Fiction

Star Trek Fiction

Other Writing

Warhammer 40k Intro

Galleries

Video

Modelling Projects

Links

Chapta 1.

Chapta 2.

Chapta 3.

Chapta 4.

1.

 

Mek Hugrud hammered another nail into his machine. The work was slow-going owing to the decision of his gretchin staff to all walk out after he nailed one of them to the ceiling for knocking over his carefully ordered row of wotsit jars. Now he had to de everything himself and he still had wotsits all over the floor, randomly mixed with the thingamabobs and doodads the fleeing gretchin had knocked over in their haste to leave.

Tomorrow he would go out and get a new staff, Hugrud decided. Then, staff in hand he would go to the riverbank where there was a large population of gretchin living in a shantytown and beat some of them with it until they came to work for him. He could of course just go to the runtherds and have them arrange for trained gretchin to come and work for him, but why should he pay for something he could do himself for free?

Hugrud was an expert labour negotiator.

“Dammit!” Hugrud yelled as he accidentally struck his own thumb with his hammer and then added another, “Dammit!” as the nails he had been gripping in his mouth fell to the floor when he uttered the first ‘dammit,’ “Nows I gotta pick dem up an’ all.”

Hugrud placed his hammer on top of his latest and greatest creation and bent down to pick up the nails then stopped. He could hear an unusual sound, a repeated ‘tick, tick, tick’ and he looked around to try and determine where it was coming from. Sounds like that sometimes came from things that were about to snap or explode and he could do without either of those things happening right now.

The sound was coming from outside, Hugrud realised. This surprised him, the departure of his gretchin had forced him to stay late to make up the work that they should have done and as far as he knew all of the other meks had shut up shop and gone home for the night a long time ago. Hugrud walked towards the back of his workshop, the direction that the sound seemed to be coming from and it was then that he heard more sounds accompanying the relentless ticking. There were muffled clumps as if someone in heavy boots was moving about but trying not to make any noise while doing it. Hugrud frowned. The footfalls were too heavy for a gretchin and for an ork to sneaking about anywhere was exceedingly rude. Reaching to a nearby bench he picked up a length of metal piping and slapped his palm with it a few times to test the weight.
”Should do.” He said to himself as he determined the pipe was suitable to teach this interloper some manners. Then he smiled as he realised I would also do when he went out recruiting in the morning.

Hugrud was just about to reach out and open his back door when there was a loud ‘crash’ and the door splintered and broke of its hinges.

“Wot da bleedin’ ‘ell is dis?” Hugrud exclaimed when he saw the figure standing there and he dropped the pipe in surprise.

There was a ‘clump’ as the figure stepped through the ruined doorway and the continuous ‘tick, tick, tick’ was accompanied by a high pitch cackling and then the dying screams of Mek Hugrud.

 

Hazug Throatslitter, last of the Blood Axe clan on the planet was having trouble readjusting to the practicalities of communal living. It was not long since he had returned from the remains of the old city that had been the centre of human civilisation on the planet before the orks had invaded and as a result of that expedition he had wound up acquiring not one but two servants. The room he called home had always been sufficient for himself, but now whenever he tripped over a box there was a chance that there was someone else sleeping in it.

Right now the air was filled with a peculiar odour, one that Hazug typically associated with the brightly coloured tops of certain plants that he sometimes scrapped off the bottom of his boots.

Now though the smell was coming from behind a screen consisting of blankets hung over a simple frame made of wood and rope that one of his servants had constructed. The servant in question was a human, one of the smaller types that Hazug had heard referred to as ‘female’. As a Blood Axe, Hazug had encountered humans many times and even spoke their language. But he had never actually lived with one before and their private habits were somewhat confusing to him. Take now for example. At this moment, the human, Sophie, was sat behind her curtain in a large tub of water. Hazug could hear the sploshing of water but had no idea why she was doing it, never mind why she had to make the room smell of flowers while she did it. What he did know was that if either he or Ratish Brownskin, the gretchin who he had also acquired, attempted to look over the curtain she would scream at a very annoying volume. He also knew that whatever was making the smell also affected the taste of the water, making it undrinkable.

“Git stinks master.” A voice said from across the room and Hazug looked around to see Ratish peering out of the box he slept in. A gretchin’s large nose gave them a heightened sense of smell, but this was something even Hazug had noticed.

Hazug nodded.
”Yeah.” He said in agreement.

“I heard that.” Sophie called out from the other side of the curtain and after more sploshing she emerged with a towel wrapped around her, “I smell nice. The room does now too.”

Ratish grabbed his nose.
”Lyin’ git!” he snapped.

“Well what should the room smell like?” Sophie asked.

“Normal stuff.” Hazug replied.

“What?” asked Sophie, “Sweat, rotten food and whatever missed the bucket?” and she pointed to a bucket in the corner used whenever anyone needed to evacuate their digestive system. The bucket was something else that Sophie used in a strange way, Hazug had noticed. Like sitting in water, she hid behind her curtain while she used it even though everyone knew what was going on.

At that moment the gretchin sprang from his box.
”Ratish clean around da bucket master!” he exclaimed excitedly, “I just needs a cloth to wipe it up. ‘Ere’s one.” And he grabbed hold of the towel Sophie had wrapped around her.

“Get off!” Sophie screamed as he clutched at the towel, “Hazug, tell him to get off me!”

Hazug leant back in his chair and smiled. Communal living could be entertaining at times he had decided.

Then, over the sound of fighting Hazug heard a knock at his door.

“Shuddup!” he bellowed. Immediately both Ratish and Sophie stood still and quiet, “Get da door grot.” Hazug added.

Ratish grinned then stuck his tongue out at Sophie.
”Ratish get door for master.” He said, “Gits is too ugly, dey scares off polite company.” And he dashed to the doorway and opened it. As soon as he had begun the ork standing in the hallway outside gave the door a shove to speed things up and sent Ratish rolling back across the floor.

“’Ello Batrug.” Hazug said when he saw who his visitor was, “Come on in and sit down.”
”Wot’s dat stink?” Batrug asked as he entered the room.

“Ask ‘er.” Hazug replied, nodding towards Sophie.

“So its true den.” Batrug said as he looked at Sophie, “Dare was rumours dat ya ‘ad got yaself a pet.”

“I’m not a pet.” Sophie protested as she pulled a plain sleeveless dress over her then let the towel drop to floor at her feet, “I’m Hazug’s friend.”

Hazug’s shoulders slumped.
”I wants me breakfast.” He said then he looked at Batrug, “Wot about ya?”

“Nah, I ‘ad a squig on da way over.” Batrug replied as he sat down at the table opposite Hazug.

“So wot’s ya want ‘ere?” Hazug asked, “Just come to see ‘ow many of us is ‘ere?”

Batrug took a deep breath.

“Dare’s a mek wot ‘as been killed.” He said, “Late last night. Got ‘is head all caved in and ‘is workshop all torn up.”

Hazug frowned.

“Aint interested.” He said, “Dead orks is not my problem. Dat last one caused me nothing but trouble. If ya wants to know who killed ‘im find out yaself.”

“Nah,” Batrug replied, “I aint interested in findin’ out who killed ‘im cos I already knows. Everyone does.”
”Who?” Hazug asked.

“A kan. Well a killa kan.” Batrug explained, “We, da meks dat is, all reckon dat Hugrud was buildin’ a killa kan wot went berserk when he turned it on. Da kan killed ‘im and did a runner. Now all of us meks is lookin’ for da kan for ourselves.”
”And ya though dat I’d ‘elp ya.” Hazug said.

“I’ll pay.” Batrug said, “Two teeth.”

“Five.” Hazug replied.
”Store credit?”

“Cash.”

“Three teeth den.”

“Done. Show us where dis Hugrud was killed.”

 

2.

 

The workshop of the late Mek Hugrud was now a hive of activity as his neighbours sought to remove everything that wasn’t nailed down. Items that were nailed down would have to wait until someone found a suitable tool to remove the nails. It would have been busier of if the meks had not suspected that somewhere there was a rogue killa kan up for grabs, so some of those who would otherwise have been here looting were instead out trying to catch it.

“Git!” a gretchin suddenly yelled out form on top of a high shelf where he had been handing spare engine parts down to his master and the creature pointed at Sophie who was standing behind Hazug in the doorway. The gretchin picked up one of the engine components and raised it over his head, ready to hurl it. But Hazug was quicker and he aimed his pistol at the creature as Sophie ducked behind him for cover.

“Go on den.” He said, “Ya wanna make my day?”

“Oi!” the mek standing below the gretchin bellowed, “Dat’s my grot!”

“Dat’s alright.” Hazug said, “I got more bullets.” Then he looked around the room. Hazug was a nob, one of the leadership caste of the orks who over the course of their lives had grown larger following multiple victories in battle. It was uncommon for meks to attain such size and as such he towered over all of the other orks in the workshop. To an ork bigger was generally held to be better.

“Get out!” Hazug bellowed and he fired a shot into the ceiling.

“Ya can’t tell us to get out!” a mek shouted back at him, “We found dis stuff first. Finders keepers.”

“I said to get out.” Hazug repeated,” If ya don’t want to den come and ‘ave a go if ya think ya is ‘ard enough. Of course if ya wants to keep ya teeth ya’ll ‘ave to be da first to find ‘em.”

Reluctantly the meks and their gretchin began to file past Hazug into the street. After the last one had left Hazug stepped inside and looked around. On the floor and walls near the back of the workshop he saw smears of blood.

“Is dat where ‘e died?” Hazug asked.

“Yeah.” Batrug replied as he followed Hazug and his servants into the workshop, “Da grots took da body away. Most it anyway, dare was a few bits dat no-one could find.”

“That’s horrible.” Sophie said.

Hazug walked to where the floor and walls were stained. The most obvious workshop feature was the remains of the back door that were scattered between the bloodstains and the doorframe. There was something about the remains of the door that didn’t look right to Hazug. But at the same time it looked familiar.

Then it occurred to Hazug where he had seen damage like this before. During many battles he had indulged in fighting in built up areas and had forced his way into many buildings. Someone breaking into the workshop, not breaking out, caused the damage he was looking at.

“’Ow did da first one to find Hugrud get in?” he asked.

“Through da front door.” Batrug replied, “We broke da lock off.”

“Ya said everyone says dat ‘e was killed by a killa kan wot went berserk when it woke up yeah?”

“Yeah. It ran off before anyone knew ‘e was dead.”

“Well everyone’s wrong.” Hazug said.

 

Not surprisingly there were bloody footprints outside the back of the workshop. They were large, bigger even than Hazug’s and several other sets of tracks were heading off in the same direction. These were the size that Hazug expected of an ork and he guessed that they belonged to the meks that had set off after Hugrud’s killer. Then Hazug saw another set of footprints and he crouched down for a better look. These ran along the wall of the workshop and looked to be heading towards the door. Like the bloody prints leading way these were large and deep but there was no blood inside them. This was the path the killer had taken on his way in.

Hazug smiled as he stood up. The killer must have known about the blood on his feet and when he left the workshop he had taken a route that would lead any pursuit in the wrong direction. Hazug decided to follow the other path.

“Ratish! Sophie!” he called out, “Come on, we is goin’.” Then he looked back into the workshop at Mek Batrug, “Is ya comin’ too?” he asked.

“Nah.” Batrug replied, “I is goin’ to see wot I can grab ‘ere before da others decide to come back.” And he began to rummage through the equipment that had not yet been looted.

 

This part of the ork city was almost entirely given over to the workshops of mekboys and the trail of footprints led Hazug and his servants between these structures. Repeatedly the sound of some violent mishap in a workshop would fill the air and Hazug would grind to a halt and crouch down, fearing an attack. Behind him, Ratish and Sophie stayed close. Neither of them was armed and the meks would be unlikely to look kindly on them if them found either of them skulking about near their workshops.

“Where do you think these tracks lead?” Sophie asked.

“Dunno.” Hazug replied, “But I wouldn’t be surprised if dey leads to another mek.”

“Why?” Sophie asked.

“Cos I reckon dat a tinboy would be a pretty good weapon to use against a rival.”
”Tinboy?”

“Dontcha know anythin’?” Ratish said, “Stupid git.”

“Shut up.” Sophie replied, “Hazug, what’s a tinboy?”

“Its like a kan, but it aint got a lad inside it. Its just nails an’ gubbins.”

“Like a robot?” Sophie asked. She used the human word ‘robot’ and Hazug had to think for a moment as he tried to remember how he had heard it used before.

“Dat’s right.” He said, and then he stopped.

“Master, wot’s wrong?” Ratish asked.

“Look at dat prints.” Hazug said, pointing to the ground at his feet. There the heavy footprints moved all around, seemingly at random, “Spread out,” Hazug said to his servants, “see if either of ya can spot where dey came from.”

Obediently, Ratish and Sophie began to help Hazug search the area. They were located in one of the rare clearings amongst the maze of workshops and the area had been used as a dumping ground by the meks. Scrap metal and empty containers were scattered all around, some of which showed signs of having been crushed underfoot by the mysterious killer.

“Master come quick!” Ratish suddenly called out, “Come see wot Ratish found!” and he waved Hazug towards him.

“Wot is it?” Hazug asked as he approached. Meanwhile Ratish was crouched down and scraping at the ground.

“It’s a door!” Ratish exclaimed and he stood back from his discovery.

Hazug looked down and looked at what Ratish had found. Sure enough there was a wooden door set into the ground. It was crudely constructed, typical of greenskin work and it had been carefully hidden.
”Does that lead where I think it does?” Sophie asked.

Hazug reached down and pulled the door open.

“Looks like it.” Hazug said, “Into da grot tunnels.”

Beneath every ork settlement there were tunnels. Being much smaller than their cousins, gretchin were vulnerable to attack and so they dug tunnels beneath the ground that allowed them to move about in relative safety. Of course they had other uses too, the incident that had led to Ratish and Sophie entering Hazug’s service had seen an assassin use them to gain admittance into the local warboss’s fortress. What was more, the aliens who had sponsored the attempt on the warboss’s life had used several large mechanical suits to increase the power of their elite troops.

Hazug turned and began to walk away.
”Where’s master goin’?” Ratish called out after him.

Hazug stopped and turned around.

“’Ome.” He said and he held up his pistol, “I gotta feelin’ we needs more firepower dan dis.”

 

Hazug owned several weapons that he kept in a cupboard. As soon as he got back to his room he went directly to it and began to remove its contents. Like any ork the first weapon he selected was the biggest.

“We’ll take dis,” He said as he removed a large automatic weapon, “and bullets too.” He added as he also removed the two belts of ammunition he had for the weapon.

Next came grenades. Hazug always kept several of the stick-like explosives in his wardrobe, considering them to be useful for evening things up when facing a large number of opponents. Finally he grabbed as many spare magazines for his pistol as he had.
”What about us?” Sophie asked.

“Master give Ratish shoota?” Ratish asked, “Ratish can fight too.”

“I only got dese two. Ya will both ‘ave to make do with dem choppas.” Hazug replied, pointing at the small knives both Ratish and Sophie carried, “But ya can both ‘elp out by carryin’ me spare ammo.” And he began to divide up the extra ammunition between them.

 

The sun was still high in the sky when Hazug and his servants returned to the entrance to the gretchin tunnels. But even so both Ratish and Sophie brandished torches, the tunnel beneath the city would have no artificial light and they would be the only method of lighting their way.

“Stay behind me.” Hazug said, loading the belt of ammunition into the heavy weapon.

“Without a gun?” Sophie commented, “I’m not standing in front of you.”

“Ratish will take lead master!” Ratish exclaimed, “Ratish not scared.”

“Nah, but Ratish’ll get ‘is ‘ead shot off if ‘e’s in front of me when I start shootin’.” Hazug replied.

“Ratish will stay behind master.” Ratish said softly.

“Make sure dat ya do.” Hazug said and he pulled the tunnel door open before making his way underground.

Being constructed both by and for the near exclusive use of gretchin, the tunnel networks beneath ork settlements tended to have low ceilings that would compel even a regular ork boy to stoop as he walked. So for a larger nob such as Hazug it was only reasonable to expect him to have bend down a great deal to be able to move along the tunnel.

“Dis aint right master.” Ratish said as he saw how the tunnel had been modified with a ceiling high enough to allow Hazug to stand up straight.

“Yeah.” Hazug replied, having seen gretchin tunnels before, “But its good.”

“Good?” Sophie asked, “How is it good?”

“Well,” Hazug began, “first its cos I don’t ‘ave to bend over when I wants to move and secondly cos I don’t reckon dat every tunnel down ‘ere ‘as been changed. Only da ones wot go where we needs to be.”

“So we just follow the taller tunnels?” Sophie asked.

“Dat’s it.” Hazug said, “Now shut up before da grots ‘ear ya.”

“Yeah,” Ratish added, “keep ya git mouth shut! Ouch!” and he found himself sprawled on the floor as Hazug slapped him around the head.

“Da goes for ya an’ all.” He said in a voice unusually quiet for an ork. Then he began to creep forwards.

 

3.

 

Borki brought his hammer down on the metal plate twice more and then held it up to the other piece that lay in front of him. Satisfied that the ends no matched put down his hammer and instead reached for a large drill. Holding the piece of metal he had just shaped over the other one he prepared to drill through both so he could rivet them together.

“Borki!” a voice suddenly called out, “’E’s back!”

Turning his head Borki saw a bulky figure lurching into the cavern through one of the enlarged tunnels. As it made an appearance all of the gretchin present stopped their work and looked at the figure. With the sudden cessation of hammering and banged of parts the only sounds left were the footfalls of the figure and a continuous ‘tick, tick, tick’.

The figure ground to a sudden halt and there was a hiss of escaping gas. Now that it was in the cavern fully the figure could be seen more clearly in the flickering light of the assorted torches and sodium lights scattered about. At first glance it appeared to be a heavily armoured ork nob, but where the large ork cranium would protrude from between the armour plates protecting the torso there was instead the much smaller head of a gretchin.

“Get ‘im out.” A gretchin shouted as several of the creatures rushed towards the imposing newcomer.

A pair of gretchin began to scale the figure, each of them clutching a wrench between their teeth. They halted at the torso and began to undo the various nuts that were holding the chest plate in place.

“Loddin, wot ‘appened?” Borki called out to the gretchin whose head stuck out from the chest.

“It works!” Loddin shouted back, loud enough so that all of the gretchin present could hear him clearly, “I smashed Mek Hugrud’s ‘ead right open!”

A gleeful cheer went up around the cavern as the gretchin celebrated the news of the mekboy’s death. A sudden ‘clang!’ rang out as the final nut was undone and the chest plate dropped the floor to reveal Loddin standing inside the hollow torso, surrounded by levers, gears and pulleys running into the limbs.

Loddin untangled his arms from the internal workings of the suit and then pulled his entire body free before leaping down to the cavern floor.

“Wot about da orks?” Borki asked.

“I led ‘em over towards da dump den snuck in through da tunnel entrance dare. Dey’ll never figure it out. Now wot about ‘ere?”

Borki smiled and pointed across the cavern.

“We is doin’ well.” He said as he pointed at another three bulky headless humanoid shapes in a row.

 

Hazug held up his hand for his servants to halt, but neither understood the signal and both barged into him. Hazug let out a roar of pain as a burning torch was accidentally thrust into the small of his back and he swept his arm around behind him, knocking both Ratish and Sophie flat.

“Watch wot ya doin’!” he snapped, though still trying to keep his voice below the loud bellowing an angry ork would normally use in a situation like this. His inadvertent exclamation of pain was bad enough without adding to the problem.

“Da git did it master! Ratish not to blame!” Ratish exclaimed.

“Shush!” Sophie hissed.

“Don’t tell Ratish to shut up!” Ratish shouted back.

“Shut up grot!” Hazug then hissed, snarling and leaning in close to Ratish’s face, “Or I’ll just slit ya throat ‘ere.” And he drew his hand across his own throat.

 

“Wot was dat?” Borki asked the gretchin standing beneath him as he pulled a heavy mechanical arm up to the shoulder of one of the three half built mechanical suits.

“Wot was wot?” the other gretchin asked.

“Sounded like someone shoutin’ somethin’ ‘bout a git.”

Another nearby gretchin ceased what he was doing and looked around.

“Dey say dat a bunch of gits was down ‘ere tryin’ to get to da warboss’ fort. Dey wanted to kill ‘im.” He said.

“Who said dat?” the gretchin beneath Borki asked.

“Dey did.” The other replied.
”Who’s dat?”

“You know, dem. Dey said it.”

“Ah, dem.” The gretchin below Borki said, nodding slowly as if he understood when in fact he had no idea what the other was saying.

“Oi! Neg!” Borki called out to where a gretchin was pouring molten metal into crude nail moulds.

“Wot?” Neg shouted, then he yelped as he accidentally poured hot metal over his foot and dropped the pan he was holding. Then he hobbled closer to Borki, “Wot d’ya want?” he asked.

“Dare may be someone else in da tunnels over dare.” Borki shouted, pointing in the direction of the sound he had heard, “It may be a git. Take an ‘andful of others and go see wot’s goin’ on.”

“Wot if it is a git?” Neg asked.

“Bring ‘em back ‘ere.” Borki replied, “Or if ya can’t, kill ‘em.”

 

Hazug crept further forwards along the tunnel until he reached a fork and held up his hand again.

“Dat means stop by da way.” He said softly as Ratish and Sophie successfully stopped without him having to yell out in pain this time.

“Which way master?” Ratish asked as he looked at where the tunnel split into two ahead. Both of the tunnels looked to have had the ceilings raised and Hazug began to wonder if just relying on tunnel height to determine his path through the subsurface network may have been a mistake.

Then something caught his attention, a slight sound from down one of the tunnels and a smile began to appear on his face.

“Wait ‘ere.” He said to Ratish and Sophie, “And keep ya mouths shut.” Then he slowly walked down one of the tunnels until he was consumed by the darkness.

Ratish and Sophie both looked down the tunnel, trying to determine where Hazug was and what he was doing. Then there was a pattering sound coming from down the other tunnel and both of them turned around.

“Hazug?” Sophie said, even though the large ork’s footsteps were typically far heavier than the sound she could hear now.

“Shut up!” Ratish snapped and he too peered down the tunnel.

As Ratish and Sophie watched the pitch-blackness of a trio of burning torches suddenly lighted up the tunnel. From the darkness a group of half a dozen gretchin appeared, most of them clutching bulky hand tools that they brandished like clubs.

“Get ‘em!” the gretchin at the head of the group yelled and with a chorus of excited shrieks the mob of gretchin charged.

The gretchin barged into both Ratish and Sophie, knocking them to the floor and pulling their torches from their grasps.

“It is a git!” one of the gretchin yelled and he grabbed hold of a handful of Sophie’s long blonde hair and tugged on it.

“Ow!” Sophie cried out, “Let me go!”

“It can talk!” Neg exclaimed, surprised at a human who could speak the language common to all greenskins.

“Da warboss ‘as gits wot talk.” One of the others said, “Maybe dey is spies for ‘im.”

“Dat’s it innit?” Neg said, “Ya is spies.”

“Dat aint it!” Ratish cried out as he struggled against the pair of gretchin holding him down, “Da git is, but I aint.”

“It’s a spy!” another of the mob yelled, “Kill it!” and the creature raised the wrench it held high over its head.

Sophie screamed, expecting the wrench to come crashing down at any moment.

“Hazug! Help!” she yelled.

Suddenly the gretchin was lifted off his feet and he dangled in the air, kicking his feet and looking around as he tried to see what was going on.

“About dat human.” Hazug said as he grasped the end of the wrench, “She’s mine.” And he thrust the tip of his blade through the back of the kicking gretchin’s throat. The blade was almost as wide as the gretchin’s neck and as Hazug twisted his weapon the creature was decapitated, his head rolling forwards and landing on Sophie’s stomach.

“Ork!” another gretchin cried out as he looked up at Hazug as he towered over the gretchin, then his cries was cut off as Hazug swung his blade down and sliced open his chest.

The other four gretchin reacted with panic, the typical reaction for any group of gretchin suddenly having to watch a portion of their number being hacked apart and believing that they could be next. Hazug reached out and grabbed hold of the nearest gretchin and as he screamed for mercy he swung it upwards, smashing open his skull against the tunnel ceiling.

Neg tried to scrabble between Hazug’s legs, but the ork simply stamped his booted foot down and there was a ‘crunch’ accompanied by a shriek of pain as he broke Neg’s spine. Then Hazug swung his blade again and another gretchin went flying as the flat edge of the weapon struck him with enough force to crack his ribs.

The last remaining gretchin still had hold of Sophie’s hair and as he backed away from Hazug he pulled her along with him, using her as a shield.

“Kill ‘im master.” Ratish said, snarling at the other gretchin as he got to his feet.

“I’ll kill ya git first.” The gretchin said and he plucked a tiny knife from his belt and held it to her throat.

“Kill ‘im master!” Ratish repeated, grinning at the though of Sophie’s imminent death.

Hazug pushed his blade downwards, embedding its tip in the dirt floor of the tunnel. The gretchin continued to back away, staring at the blade in case Hazug picked it up again. This meant that he was not watching what Hazug was doing with his other hand and failed to notice as Hazug plucked his pistol from his belt and aimed it at the gretchin’s head. The discharge of the weapon echoed in the confines of the tunnel, making both Ratish and Sophie flinch. But the effect on the gretchin holding a knife to Sophie’s throat was far more pronounced when the heavy lead bullet smashed through his forehead and blew off the back of his skull.

Sophie scrabbled away from the headless gretchin and towards Hazug for safety. Meanwhile Hazug himself looked around to where Neg was dragging himself down the tunnel, his legs trailing limply behind him. Growling as he strode towards the disabled Neg, Hazug stuck his pistol back into his belt before reaching down and grabbing hold of one of Neg’s ankles.

“Where d’ya reckon ya is go’ ya stinkin’ grot?” he demanded.

“Let me go!” Neg squealed, “Let me go or me mates kills ya!”

“Kill ‘im master!” Ratish snapped, “No amount of gretchin is better dan ya is.”

“Ratish is right.” Sophie said and as both Hazug and Ratish looked at her in amazement she added, “You should just kill him. We know which way they came from, you don’t need him to tell you.”

“I reckon dat she’s got a point dare grot.” Hazug said to Neg, “So wotcha got to say fer yaself?”

“Me mates’ll kill ya all!” Neg screamed, “Dey’s strong! Stronger dan wot ya is! Dey’ll-“

There was a ‘crunch’ as Hazug grew tired of Neg’s pointless ranting and just as he had earlier broken the gretchin’s spine by stamping on it, he now cracked open his skull by bringing down his boot on top of that. Then he turned towards his servants.
”Go look down dat other tunnel.” He said to Ratish, pointing, “I left da big shoota down dare and I reckons we may need it soon.”

Ratish smiled and picked up one of the dropped torches before running off down the other tunnel.

“It’s lucky you came back when you did.” Sophie said to Hazug as she too picked up a torch that was still lit.

“Luck ‘ad nought to do with it.” Hazug replied, “I was watchin’ from da darkness.”

“So you knew where those gretchin were?”

“Course I did. But dem runts wasn’t goin’ to try ought with me standin’ ‘ere with me big shoota was dey?”

“You used as bait.” Sophie exclaimed.

“Yeah, I did.”

 

“Dat was a shot.” Loddin said, “I knows it was, I ‘eard it.”

“Neg didn’t ‘ave no shoota.” Borki replied.

“Den dare is someone in da tunnel.”

“Yeah, but who are dey?” Loddin asked, “Gits? Or orks?”

“Whoever it is, we better get da suits ready to smash ‘em.”

 

4.

 

“’Ammerin’ master.” Ratish whispered. The larger ears that gretchin possessed gave them superior hearing to other greenskins so Hazug had no hesitation in asking Ratish to identify the sounds that became clearer as they advanced down the tunnel used by their attackers.

“Den we is close.” Hazug said and he handed his belt fed weapon to Ratish, “’Ere, kop ‘old of dis for a mo.” He instructed and Ratish grinned as he took hold of the valuable weapon.

With his hands now free, Hazug reached down and scooped up a handful of dirt from the floor of the tunnel, dirt that eh then proceeded to smear over his body.

“Now stay well back ‘behind me. I don’t want anyone up ahead seein’ da light from dem torches.” He said as he took hold of the weapon Ratish held again and he began to make his way down the tunnel towards the source of the hammering.

 

Loddin clambered up the suit as fast as he could and climbed inside.

“Quick!” he said to the other two gretchin accompanying him, “Put da front on!” and the pair strained as they lifted the chest plate into position and began to tighten up the nuts needed to keep it in place.

Across the cavern, Borki and the other gretchin dashed about in a frantic attempt to complete the other armoured suits, none of which was ready for use yet.

“Ya’s set!” one of the gretchin holding onto Loddin’s suit said, “Try it.”

Loddin pulled a lever, attempting to lift one of the suits arms.

“It aint got no power!” he exclaimed, “Quick! Get da key!”

One of the other gretchin ran off and after a few moments returned holding a large ‘T’ shaped piece of metal. He then inserted the base of this into a hole in the back of the suit. Both gretchin then took hold of the exposed ends of the ‘key’ and began to rotate it about the bar running into the suit. As they did, there was a clicking sound from inside the suit.

 

As Hazug drew closer to the end of the tunnel, where he could see it open out into a cavern he saw that the space ahead was well lit by greenskin standards, with both torches and electrical lighting. Hazug reacted by lying down on the floor of the tunnel and crawling forwards on his stomach, keeping watch on the cavern ahead. He saw movement as gretchin rushed about. But what interested him more was the trio of bulky headless humanoid forms lined up at the side of the cavern. Whatever the gretchin were doing, these things were central to it.

Staying prone, Hazug aimed his weapon towards the suits that the gretchin were still in the process of making. Then smiling he pulled the trigger and held it back. There was a roar and the tunnel mouth was lit up by the muzzle flash as Hazug fired a stream of bullets towards the headless constructs. Being soft metal the bullets sparked as they bounced off their armoured hides, but the gretchin swarming around them were a different matter altogether and the gunfire tore them to shreds. Additionally, the suits they working on had not had their chest plates attached yet and some of the bullets entered the cavity where the gretchin operator was supposed to sit. Now the thick armour they had been equipped with was their undoing, as the bullets from Hazug’s heavy gun ricocheted about inside, cutting through wires and smashing gears. The roar of the weapon stopped suddenly and looking down Hazug saw that he had expended all of its ammunition. Leaving the gun where it was he stood up and drew his pistol and blade before striding into the cavern intent on finishing this up close.

Standing in the mouth of the tunnel he proclaimed his presence with a mighty yell.

“Waaargh!”

Gretchin scattered, dropping tools and equipment they were working on and running in all directions. Despite their grand plans for revenge on their larger cousins, they still possessed the innate belief that bigger was better and Hazug was far bigger than any of them.

Storming into the cave, Hazug began to fire his pistol into the gretchin, hitting a few but mainly serving only to further scatter the panicking creatures. Every now and again he would encounter a gretchin that rather than attempting to flee from him would instead cower at his feet and he dealt with these with a swift blow from either his blade or one of his booted feet.

A sudden shriek from above his head caught Hazug’s attention and he looked up just in time to see a gretchin dropping from a narrow hole in the ceiling. The gretchin landed on Hazug’s shoulders and clung on with hand while the other was clenched into a fist that repeatedly struck Hazug’s head. Fortunately for him, an ork’s skull was very thick and it would take more than a single unarmed gretchin to do any damage.

What the gretchin did succeed in dong however, was to inspire his fellows to make a stand and when they saw Hazug staggering as he tried to dislodge the gretchin from his back a number of them stopped panicking and picked up the tools they had just dropped. Then in a large group they began to advance towards Hazug.

“We’ve got to help him!” Sophie exclaimed from the tunnel where she and Ratish were watching the fight and she ran forwards to the tunnel mouth where Hazug’s large automatic weapon lay on the floor. She set down her bag and opened it up, rummaging through the contents until she found the end of a belt of ammunition for the gun. She fed the belt into the breech and pulled the cocking handle to chamber a round. Satisfied that the weapon was loaded, Sophie then dragged it into position. The weapon was heavy even by ork standards and it was all she could do to get it pointed in the right direction while still lying on the floor. Then she lay down and took aim before pulling the trigger.

‘Click.’ Nothing happened.

Amongst the tech priest enginseers of the Adeptus Mechanicus it is well known that ork technology does not always function consistently when non-greenskins attempt to operate them. To the tech priests this is a sign that the orks create a form of psychic field that their technology requires to function properly. To ork mekboys on the other hand it is a sign that their machines know what will happen to them if they do not function as they are meant to.

Sophie tried again, cocking the weapon and pulling the trigger only for there to be nothing more than a ‘click’ as the weapon failed to fire.

“Get off it!” Ratish snapped as he rushed towards Sophie and pushed her away from the gun, “Ratish’ll show ya ‘ow its done!”

Ratish lay exactly where Sophie had been and did exactly what she had done, pulling back the bolt and pulling the trigger. But this time instead of a ‘click’ there was a roar and flames from the muzzle lit up the tunnel mouth as the weapon functioned for Ratish exactly as it was supposed to.

The stream of bullets tore through the mob of advancing gretchin, scattering them once more. But Ratish held the weapon’s trigger back even when the group was dispersed and soon there was yet another ‘click’ and the bolt moved forwards to an empty chamber.

“Gimme more!” he shouted at Sophie, waving his hand at her for another belt of ammunition.

“I don’t have any.” She replied, “Didn’t you have any?”

“Master just give Ratish slugga clips.” He said, “And stick bombs.”

Fortunately the burst of fire from Ratish had been enough to give Hazug all the time he needed to grab hold of the gretchin clinging to his back and rip it free. He gripped it in both hands as he held it up in front of him and as it screamed first for mercy and then in agony he pulled one of its arms from its socket and hurled both pieces across the cavern.

Having dropped both of his weapons in the struggle, Hazug looked down to retrieve them. His blade was sticking straight up from the dirt floor and he pulled it free without effort. But eh pistol had travelled further when he dropped it and it was out of reach for now. Hazug was about to make a rush for the gun when a strange sound caught his attention.

‘Tick, tick, tick.’

Looking around Hazug saw a massive figure lumbering at him from the shadows at the far side of the cavern and as it approached there was the unmistakable cackling sound of gretchin laughter. The figure that approached was clad in a suit just like those in the row that Hazug had destroyed and he realised that there had been one more that he had not noticed.

“I is bigger dan ya now!” Loddin cried, “Now I is better dan ya!”

“Ya is just a runt on stilts!” Hazug bellowed and he swung his blade low, intending to cut the mechanical suit’s legs out from under its operator.

There was a ‘clang!’ and sparks flew as Hazug’s blade failed to do any damage to the suit and once again Loddin just cackled. Reaching out one of the suit’s arms, Loddin grasped hold of Hazug’s blade and pulled it from his grasp before hurling it across the cavern.

“Little orks no good without dare choppas!” Loddin yelled and swinging the suit’s other arm he delivered a blow that sent Hazug flying backwards.

‘Tick, tick, tick.’

The sound filled Hazug’s ears as he lay with his face down in the dirt and he knew that the suit was coming to finish him off. Rather than waste time getting back up Hazug just rolled to one side and watched as Loddin stamped down a mechanical foot where his head had been a few moments earlier.

‘Tick, tick, tick.’

Looking at the suit from the side, Hazug could see that there was a large ‘T’ shaped handle sticking out of its back and as he watched the suit move he saw it spinning as the spring inside unwound. Hazug grinned as an idea on how to stop the suit entered his mind.

He jumped back to his feet and turned to face the suit head on. Then he roared and charged at it. In response Loddin just laughed out loud, reaching out the arms of the suit and intending to grab hold of Hazug and pull him apart. But at the last moment Hazug dived to one side and rolled past the suit. Then, before Loddin could turn to face him, Hazug leapt back to his feet and grasped the ‘T’ shaped handle tightly.

Loddin screamed as the suit ground to halt, its clockwork mechanisms now jammed

“Geddim off me!” he screamed to the other remaining gretchin as he desperately pulled at levers inside the suit, “Me suit’s stuck!”

A gretchin rushed towards Hazug and he gave it a good hard kick, sending it flying backwards. But he knew that he could not stay like this, if he kept hold of the handle then the other gretchin may be able to overwhelm him. But on the other hand if he let go then Loddin would be able to pilot the suit properly once more. Then he had an idea and he smiled.

He plucked one of the stick shaped grenades from his belt and wedged the wooden grip between the ‘T’ handle and a set of pipes on the back of the suit, preventing the handle from turning. Then he pulled out the pin of the grenade and briefly dangled it in front of Loddin’s face before dropping it into the suit. Then he ran for the tunnel mouth, sidestepping, leaping over or just barging past any gretchin he met on the way.

Loddin screamed as he looked over the suit’s shoulder, frantically trying to get the suit moving again as he searched for the grenade.

“’Elp me ‘Elp me!” me called out.

“Dat’s da last suit!” Borki yelled, “’Elp ‘im!” and all of the remaining gretchin rushed to try and clear the suit’s mechanism. The gretchin reached the suit and Hazug reached the tunnel just as the grenade’s timer expired.

With the force of the explosion compressed by the cavern walls, the blast was enough to lift Hazug off his feet and sent him flying into Ratish and Sophie. For a few brief moments there were screams from the gretchin not killed outright by the explosion before there was another massive rumbling sound as the roof of the cavern fell in and buried them all.

Hazug got back to his feet and turned around. Light now flooded into the tunnel from where the cavern had been. The collapse had been total; the entire group of rebel gretchin and their mechanical suits had been buried beneath the mounds of dirt that now lay in front of Hazug.

“Are they all dead?” Sophie asked.

“I reckon so.” Hazug replied, nodding slowly.

“Then can we go home now?” Sophie added.

“Not yet.” Hazug replied.
”Wot’s left master?” Ratish asked, “Ratish’ll help.”
”I’m glad ay said dat.” Hazug said, “Cos me choppa and slugga is buried under dat lot somewhere, so I needs ya to go dig ‘em out.”

 

Copyright Notice. 

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is the intellectual property of Games Workshop Ltd. The fiction presented here is a derived work. It is completely unofficial and Games Workshop Ltd has not endorsed any of it.

Background image miniature design copyright Games Workshop Ltd

This Web Page Created with PageBreeze Free HTML Editor